Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fall Garden

It's the middle of October already! Seems like just yesterday that I set out my little seedlings and now I'm already planning next year's garden. I added two 4x4 ft gardens this year and will be adding a 9x4 for next spring. Then I'll have 128 sq ft of planting area, 32 sq ft more than this year.

This year my garden gave me very few tomatoes, a couple of zucchini (I know, really?!), lots of cucumbers, carrots, beets, kale, Swiss chard, cantaloupes (although they are still on the vine and it's the first I'm time growing them), peppers (although I lost half of them), bush beans (even though most of them never germinated due to the early heat we had), parsley, tarragon like crazy, basil, some thyme, sage, tons of mint, onions, leeks, and radishes. Not successful were the peas, scallions, cilantro, all but one tomato plant, and the spinach. I blame the month-early Spring we had this year.

Never the less, I've made notes of everything and will be making some changes next year. One experiment will be the companion planting technique. We'll see if it works.

Another change will be installing the drip irrigation system earlier in Spring. This year we waited until August. I had noticed some of the veggies drooping a bit because of lack of consistent water.
After the installation, the garden became very lush. Note to self: don't procrastinate quite so long next Spring.

GM


No comments:

Post a Comment